Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Surviving Snow In South Carolina

As someone who grew up in Cleveland, Ohio and went to college in Buffalo, New York I've learned how to handle myself in the snow.  I drove a rear wheel drive SUV through the snowy streets of Buffalo for two winters, my first car was a boat of an Olds Mobile that did not handle the snow like a dream, I know how to deal with snow.

One time I was driving on the thruway at 2 a.m. coming home from work in the middle of some pretty serious snow and I managed to hit a patch of black ice, spin out and regain control of my car all within about 6 seconds (though I will admit it felt like time slowed down and I considered singing 'Jesus take the wheel').

 So when I got a text at 9 on Thursday night of last week telling me the office was closed because there was going to be snow I spent a solid 5 minutes laughing and then looked out the window to see it hasn't started snowing yet.  Now as previously mentioned, I'm from the great northern part of our fine country so I know that sometimes snow doesn't start until late at night and can accumulate quickly.

When I woke up on Friday morning there was maybe an inch of snow on the ground, MAYBE. I promptly laughed until I cried and went to Walmart to see if they had sold out of bread and milk.  (Side note: Why do people buy milk before impending weather disasters? There's a change you'll lose power and it'll just go bad.)

Walmart was running with a staff of maybe 5 people, no deli, no bakery, no pharmacy, one open checkout lane.

The best part of this entire experience was that the main roads were salted and plowed by the time I left my house around 8:45 in the morning.  It stopped snowing by like noon and it was just raining.  I will admit that's when the roads got dangerous since it froze over and then it was icy as hell but still.

So that was my first 'winter' experience down south.  They close basically everything if there's going to be even a flurry, you watch out for ice because that's what you'll actually find, two days later it'll be 60 degrees.

Oh yeah.  It's was 60 degrees yesterday.

Winter in the south from a northern perspective.  It's funny to watch, but get's super boring.  You're welcome for this blog, it was pointless, but probably a little funny for all my northern brethren.

No comments:

Post a Comment