Sunday, August 2, 2015

Offing

Today's word is offing.  On offing is the most distant part of the sea that is seen from the shore, it is beyond the anchoring ground.  I'm going to ask you to hang in with me for a few minutes while I relate this word to my life and life post grad. 

To get anywhere by sea you have to venture into the offing, it can be a scary thing because you don't know what's there, what's beyond the horizon. Back in the days of old they though that the horizon was the end of the world, that you'd fall off it you sailed too far into the offing.

That's what life is about.  You have to take a risk, you have to sail into the offing to get somewhere new.  When I went to college in Buffalo I ventured a little bit away from the shore, into the sea but I could still see the safety of the shore behind me, ready for me to come back if I needed to.

But on this adventure I've lost sight of the shore, I'm in the offing.  I've moved toward the horizon, but the thing about the offing and the horizon is that they keep moving as you move. There is no edge of the world that you'll fall off if you sail out too far, but that won't stop me from trying to get there.

There's a quote I really like about taking a chance in life, "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

We were made to leave out harbors and sail to distant lands, or at least I think that I was.  Just over two weeks ago I set sail from my safe harbor and arrived in a place that I didn't know and I was terrified, but that feeling of apprehension, of fear, that means you're living. 

Maybe I'll never make it to my destination, maybe I'll be drift in the offing until the wind catches my sails again, but while I drift I know that I'm going to end up where I was meant to be.  I don't mean that in some cliche way, I don't mean fate will take me where I'm meant to be because I think that fate is bull shit, we make our own destiny, you do what you can with what you've been given. 

I'll end up where I'm meant to be because I've decided to go there, whether it was a conscious decision or gut instinct.  Going into the 'offing' was something I had to do to change my own life,so while I'm here trying to find the right wind for my sails I'm going to enjoy the ride - I have a feeling it's going to be a wild one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment