Tuesday, August 18, 2015

MPH dreams

I've been having more and more moments of clarity that last week or two about the future and it's a really exciting feeling.  I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I want to go to grad school or law school after I figure out what I want to do when I grow up so here it goes, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up but now I know what direction I should be going.

I took a class in college about health communication, we got to plan, execute and evaluate a health campaign and it was the most fun I've had in a class, it was also stressful and challenging and I loved that. I didn't realize it at the time, but that class put in on a new path, or maybe I came to a Spork in the road and ventured into unknown territory.

Here's the thing, I want to get my MPH (Masters in Public Health), I want to move out west to do it because I'm all about exploration and living in new places, and most MPH programs require or 'suggest' you have two years post grad experience before applying. Well, I'm currently 4 weeks into post grad experience so I'm heading in the right direction at least.

I have spent an inordinate amount of time researching different MPH programs and it turns out that as long as I do alright on the GRE I should be able to get into a top 10 program (finally all those late nights in college are paying off, woohoo for 3.55 GPAs and diverse classroom experiences).

So here I am, four weeks into my year of service and I now know that I need to do another one, preferable in some health related field.  I don't want to stay here for that year because it's a great big world and I've only seen a tiny part of it. I'm hoping that this time next year will bring me away from the East Coast and the Rust Belt to somewhere totally new.  I'm thinking Arizona, Colorado, California or Washington State.

I'll try to keep you all posted on my next great adventure, but for now this adventure is shaping up quite nicely, it's not a fiasco just yet (that's my word of the day, I had to throw it in there).  I'm feeling great, like I'm ready to take on the world - or maybe that's the pot of coffee talking.  Either way, I'm sucking the marrow out of life, Thoreau would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment