Monday, August 3, 2015

Mondaze

Monday always get's a bad rep, you're just coming in from the weekend and even though weekends should be for resting you cram everything into them that you wanted to do all week.  Mondays are exhausting because you come into the day already exhausted.

There's a new term, or maybe it's not new and I'm just not hip to what the kids are saying anymore, called Mondaze.  It describes the feeling of being in a daze because it's Monday and you're tired.  This morning I was in a Mondaze.

I don't like that feeling of being unproductive and out of it so I drank some coffee, then I drank some more coffee and finally after my fourth cup of coffee I was out of the daze and into a productive rhythm.  Hopefully next Monday it won't take that much coffee but there's nothing I can do about it now.

One of my goals for this year, a goal unrelated to the tasks that I'll be doing for the Urban League and the Spartanburg community is to change my attitude.  I think there's a lot to be said about the power of positive thinking.  If you wake up and think that you're day is going to be awful then there's a good chance it will be, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

On the flip side of that if you wake up and think that today is going to be a good day there's a good chance that you'll be right.  I understand there's a level of uncertainty going into each day, that you can't know for sure if it really will be a good day, but if you go into it with a positive attitude you might surprise yourself.

That's how I pulled myself out of my Mondaze.  Sure the coffee helped (a lot), but I put my best foot forward and I didn't let the little things get to me.  If I can't change it or I can't fix it I shouldn't worry about it. When the wifi went down I didn't let it get to me, I worked on a hard copy of my plan, when I forgot my lunch I remembered the snacks I had stashed in a drawer of my desk.

Though positivity can't take you all the way, it can start you in the right direction. I started my week in the right direction so it should be a good week.

And because I know you're just dying  to know the word of the day is interlude,  an interval, break.  An in-between period of time.  A pause between acts of a play.

I suppose there's a chance that when I look back at my life I'll see that I'm in an interlude right now, a period of time between ending college and starting my life, but you probably don't know you're in an interlude until you're removed from it.  I'm going to live this year like it's the first year of the rest of my life, not like it might be a pause in my life. I can't stop myself from growing up, I can't take a break from life and hope for the best.

So here's to a week without interlude, to a week of positivity and forward motion.  Here's to a week full of coffee and smiles but above all of that, here's to the next week of the rest of our lives.

Happy Monday Y'all (looks like the south is getting to me).

No comments:

Post a Comment