Saturday, August 1, 2015

Halcyon

I never understood the joy of a weekend, in college and high school I worked on the weekends and even if I wasn't working I had something to do, whether it was for a club or homework. As an adult with only one job I have an actual weekend which is a new experience entirely.

Last night I had a Friday night where I didn't have to work or worry about a paper, I had no responsibilities.  So naturally I went and got pizza, drank some wine with some of my coworkers and was in bed by 11.  If this is adulthood I can totally get down with it.

This morning I woke up around 10, made breakfast and then went to the pool for 4 hours.  I almost feel guilty not being at the library haphazardly trying to finish a paper that's due on Monday, key word being almost. I mean I guess I'm getting my comeuppance in the form of a pretty nasty sunburn but it was well worth it.

Though I'm sure I'll soon bore of this halcyon lifestyle I'm going to try to appreciate it while it lasts. For those of you who are tuning into this program already in progress I have a word of the day app that I'm attempting to weave into my life and today's word is halcyon.

Halcyon - happy, sunny, carefree, serene, tranquil, quiet.

My weekend has been halcyon and I'm learning to enjoy that or I'm trying to at least.

I'm currently sitting at Starbucks with my roommate and another girl in our program, all of us half ass working on some project or another, slightly burnt from the sun, drinking our iced beverages and I am feeling completely content.  It's a relatively new feeling at this juncture in my life, no anxiety about money (for the time being) and no worries about the future because for the next 360 days I've got plans and for now that's enough.

This next week I am going to try to be the embodiment of halcyon- smiley, upbeat and peaceful.  I don't know if I can manage the quiet bit, but I'll give it a shot.

Until next time my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment